arrow_upward
The Diminishing Returns and inflated pricing of GPUs
So this is going to be a little bit of a ranting post. I want to go ahead and talk about how the GPU market has pretty much stalled out over the past couple of years, leading to lackluster improvements from generation to generation.

To start off with, GPUs now are in the position that the CPU scene was in the mid 2010s. Relative stagnation with minimal improvements in performance going from one generation to the next.

[Image: best-gpus-2023_00008_0.jpg.webp]

I'm not too sure if we're hitting a ceiling with Moores Law, or if there's just some other technology, like the speed of VRAM, that's botlenecking these graphics cards, but ultimately, there's only a 5-10% improvement in performance going into the next generation, averaged across all tiers. From what I've seen so far, it seems like the generational gains are at their lowest in the midter cards (XX70, XX70 Ti).

This wouldn't be too big of an issue, but what really makes this sting is the constant price hikes and what little value you get for your dollar nowadays. It used to be that the transistor count on a chip would double once every 18 months (Moores Law). This would mean greater performance for about half the cost with each iteration of these processors. However, with GPU prices higher than ever due to a multitude of reasons, that just isn't the case anymore.

What do you guys think? Are GPUs just not a good deal anymore? Think things will get better in the future? Let me know!